Thursday, February 9, 2017

Campaigning for Common Sense Digital Citizenship for RHHS

"It is a thousand times better to have common sense without education, than to have education without common sense." - Robert Green Ingersoll


Digital citizenship is more important than ever in today's society.  Fake news has become more prevalent and cyber bullying remains a major concern.  I have been able to teach bits and pieces of digital citizenship in with other lessons on research and web tools, but I decided that I want to make it a bigger priority for our school.  I had already familiarized myself with Common Sense Media, both as a parent and a teacher, so when I looked at their materials to become a Common Sense Certified School, I was sold.  Common Sense Education has a complete curriculum for K-12 that is standards aligned and updated yearly.  We all know that there are constant changes in technology and our society, so the materials are updated to stay relevant to these changes.  Oh, and it's FREE!

When I say "complete curriculum," I mean EVERYTHING - lesson plans, activities, videos, assessments, and additional resources - has already been organized.  The implementation then turns to you and your school.  There are many components to the curriculum, so as not to feel overwhelmed, I found their Common Sense Certified Checklist invaluable.  I am a box-checker kind of gal, and the checklist also helped me to see what steps I should focus on first.
Common Sense Certified Checklist


So yesterday was my first step in introducing the idea of becoming a Common Sense Certified School to my teachers and staff.  I gained my Principal's approval a few months ago, so now it was time to get input and feedback from our teachers.  Digital citizenship is not a one-person job.  It involves all stakeholders - teachers, parents, and students, but I needed to at least let me teachers see the need for this (which was not hard) and the materials we (not just me) would be using.  As in every school, teachers are already juggling many items on their plates, so I want the implementation of our digital citizenship campaign to be as user-friendly for them as possible, and also not "waste" valuable classroom time.

We have a Lunch & Learn each month with a teacher or staff member presenting on a variety of topics while teachers enjoy a catered lunch.  Yesterday was my time to shine!  With only 20 minutes for each lunch session (we have four lunches), I had to plan wisely on just the right amount of information without overwhelming.   I made a simple Google Presentation that had links to the Common Sense curriculum that would be most beneficial to the teachers at this point - the Scope & Sequence info that contains the lessons plans and the Suggested Instruction Plan that shows the break down of units and lessons by grades and time requirements for becoming certified.  The time limit did not allow for full discussion either, so I encouraged participants to leave feedback and questions on Padlet, which allows everyone to read, comment, and collaborate as we work on what is the best approach for our school to start its Common Sense Digital Citizenship implementation.  Teachers are not mandated to attend Lunch & Learns, so turn out was very low considering the size of our school (15 out of 115 teachers came).  I am not discouraged by this because the ones who did come were eager to discuss with their departments, and it gave me a handful of advocates for when I do present and/or move forward with the full faculty.  


No comments:

Post a Comment